Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Info pack about Wales for incomers

A new scheme to raise awareness of the linguistic and cultural nature of Wales among poeple who are about to move to here. Moving to Wales is a partnership between the Welsh Language Board, Welsh Langauge Initiatives and estate agents, and will be put into action when people contact estate agents.

Although I read about this on BBC Cymru's website, there's no mention of this story (at the moment) in English on BBC Wales' website, even though I'd have thought it's of equal relevance if not more to non-Welsh speakers. This is something I've noticed before about stories regarding the Welsh language which only appear on the Welsh version even though it's more relevant for non-Welsh speakers, such as the porposals for allowing teachers to have time off to learn Welsh.

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter Black said...

This has taken some time to get off the ground. It was first mooted when I was Deputy Minister for Housing over three years ago. I notice that they have not taken up my suggestion at the time that details are sent out in addition by local authorities with local land charge search results.

9/13/2005 12:20 pm  
Blogger Rhys Wynne said...

Yes it's been mentioned for a long time. With all due respect to estate agents, I can see a lot not passing it on and every avenue should be explored to make sure as many people get to know about it. But it looks quite useful, and it would be a good idea for the partners to make this pack/website visable to people before they start making enquiries with estate agents.

9/13/2005 12:44 pm  
Blogger Rhys Wynne said...

Maybe, but I'm sure (or hope) that a seperate press release is sent out to both newsrooms. And I bet there's Welsh speakers who work for BBC Wales who might sneak a look at the BBC Cymru site.
( I'm fairly certain it works the other way round as I have RSS feeds for both and yu can see a pattern ;-) )

9/15/2005 4:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home