Thursday, September 01, 2005

Taking the piss


From the BBC.
Being the sensitive young chap that I am, seeing cut out posters of Michael Owen and David Beckham in stores across Wales during World Cup Finals and Euro Championships makes my blood boil, but in an attempt to remain calm, I tell myself it's because Wales failed to qualify once again and the bright marketing guru's at Sainsbury's or whatever assume that we'd be rooting for our fellow Brits (yeah right!).

This is the final straw however, now that Wales are playing England, Carlsberg are sending posters to pubs in Wales urging drinkers to get behind England. AAAARGH. Not only does this set nationalists like myself frothing in the mouth, it also angers Welsh ex-servicemen.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gareth said...

I don't blame you Rhys. That would piss me off immensely.

What do you think of the proposed 'Great British' football team?

Is there much resistance in Wales to this abomination? English, Welsh and Scottish fans need to work together to stop this happening.

9/03/2005 7:16 pm  
Blogger Rhys Wynne said...

What do I think? I think I'd rather watch Wales losing 0-1 to England every other weekend than see a game involving what you rightly call an abomination, really I would.

Sadly the Welsh FA hasn't been so vocal aginst the idea as the SFA has been, but it's up to the fans top make their opinions known. The Welsh supporters association is realtively new I think and small, compared the the English one but certainly this is something that demands co-operation so that it's sniped in the bud before it goes too far. I would imagine yourselv and other's from CEP to be aginst it, but what would you say the feeling is among the majoruty of English fans? The vast majority of Welsh fans are aginst it (and not because hardly any Welsh players would make the team!)

9/04/2005 2:50 pm  
Blogger Gareth said...

To be honest I don't think many England fans know about it. It's been widely reported in the Scottish press but ignored in England.

I think that most English fans would be against it - though I don't know about Joe public in England.

Feel free to sign

9/05/2005 1:19 am  
Blogger Rhys Wynne said...

I'll gladly sign and put the icon on my blogs as well. Shame that it's been hijacked by abuse hurlers.

One flaw in the pledge is that I wouldn't actually be attending any match to be booing the players.

9/05/2005 9:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home