Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Playing god in the garden

The 'thing's to do' list for the house seem's endless. After dragging my feet over each job for ages I finally get going. About a quarter way through I remember why I was so reluctant to start the job, but by then it's too late and there's no turning back.



I'm trying to level a big dip in the lawn, and at the same time get rid of a load of soil that's gathered down the end of the garden following the destrucion of the previous owner's "rockery". Rather than take my girlfriends advice of scattering the soil over the dip, I've tecided to dig up the turf and stick the soil beneath it (a bit like a Tom & Jerry, where the carped's raised and the mess hidden beneath).

It reminds me a little of one of my favourite Amiga games, Populous.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, that is the proper way to level a lawn. Apparently if you cut them properly (Hah!) you can lift turves, a little like lifting carpet tiles, roll them green side in, put them somewhere shady, shovel in the excess soil, plus compost to enrich it, stamp it all down, level it all off, stamp it down again, rake the surface, put the turves back again - taking care NOT to walk on them, water them in & there you are. New, level, lawn.

Or you could just dig a pond! Of course, you compost yr green waste don't you?

4/13/2006 8:59 am  
Blogger Rhys Wynne said...

I obviously need to consult my blog readers before starting jobs in the future!

Some pieces I managed to cut quite nicely and were exactly like carpet tiles (others came out as clumps). Thanks for the advice.

I do compost my green waste and kitchen waste, but I've not been turning it over often enough and most of it is now foul smelling sludge.

4/13/2006 9:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home