Monday, April 03, 2006

More smiling, less whining

I feel as though I should appologise for the infrequency of my blogging, and the negative tone of the posts. You'd never guess that I'm a chirpy happy-go-lucky type of guy in real life (ha!). Despite all this, according to my stats page, people still visit here.

It's hard to believe, but some people actually blog for fun - I know, it sounds crazy to me too. Anyway's the Irish Blog Awards were held last month, and by reading the list of category winners, I came accross the winner of the 'Most Humorous Post', which was New York Diary by Twenty Major. You've got to read it to the end, well I liked it anyway.

They winner of the 'Best Use of the Irish Language in a Blog' category was An tImeall. The blogs author, Conn Ó Muíneacháin has recently started to blog in English as well, and the first posts discuss blogging in a minority language and how this fits in with things like Google, AdSense and Taging. Before reaching the decission to start posting in English as well as in Irish, Conn posted (in English) on his Irish blog a post under the title; So, should I blog in English?. It's a long post but the following sounds very familiar:
When I started blogging, I chose to blog in Irish because:
1. It is my preferred language
2. I wanted to encourage others to do the same and so provide me with gael-blogs to read :-)
3. I didn't think I had anything to add to the discussions taking place on English language blogs.

Reasons 1 and 2 have not changed - but 3 has. Back then, I thought that there were so many people blogging in English, that anything I might say would probably have been said already, and better, by somebody else.


As you may know I also blog in Welsh and contribute (again infrequently) towards They All Speak English?. The reasonong behing this blog and 'They all Speak English?' is to give a Welsh speaking perspective on various subjects, but in English to a wider audience, while still blogging mainly in Welsh.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Conn is a bloke :)

4/03/2006 1:15 pm  
Blogger Rhys Wynne said...

I was thinking about it while writing the post that I wasn't sure if Conn was a he or a she (bleeding silly Irish names ;-) ), but somehow convinced myself is was a she.

Changed it now :)

4/03/2006 2:03 pm  
Blogger Conn said...

Thanks guys (Rhys is a guy's name, isn't it?) ;-)

4/04/2006 12:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy your English blog Rhys, but then I don't speak Welsh :(

4/04/2006 6:53 am  
Blogger Rhys Wynne said...

Apologies Conn

In the end I decided it was easier for me to ammend my post rather than you having surgery.

Thanks Mike, and thanks for the link as well.

4/04/2006 9:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home