Thursday, April 26, 2007

This week I'll be mainly appearing on.....

Last week I appeared on Siaradog.tv, an internet only 'chat-show' of sorts (aimed at 16 year olds judging by the set and the 'humour') to talk about blogging in Welsh and my little internet business jobs-cymraeg.com.

Sanddef has invited me to be a part of a another online show called Blogger TV on 18 Doughty Street, a political website by Iain Dale. I'm aware of both websites, but I must admit I don't visit them very often as it mainly concentrates on Uk politics, but as Iain's doing a "special Welsh elections programme", then I should make the effort to blog about it and include something political on this blog to justify taking any part!

One of the main talking points about this election is the expected turnout. Of course, turnout is low for elections at any level throughout the Uk, but as this is only the 3rd election ever for the National Assembly, it's going to be pretty embarassing for the politicians from all the parties. It's widely held that one of the reasons that turnout is so low at the Assembly elections is that it's given so little coverage in the London based press. As the fast majority of Wales' population only read newspapers from outside Wales (the only so-called National newspaper of Wales also belongs to Trinity Mirror), it only leaves the BBC and ITV as the main source of information about the institution. BUT, many people in north east and south east Wales turn their masts to England.

Many people in Wales still don't know what powers the Assembly have (maybe this explaines why the BNP leaflet I received yesterday states they want to curb immigration into Wales!)

Plaid Cymru tend to get a larger percentage of the vote in the Assembly elections than Westminster ones, not because people vote differently, but as a Welsh party they find it easier to mobilize and motivate their supporters to vote. Once again Labour are worried that a no-show from their voters is going to harm them more than people choosing to vote for a different party (although I hope plenty do exchange votes).

A lot has been written on blogs and message boards recently about the absence of posters and signs in people's gardens etc as an indicator of another poor turnout. I must admit that I've seen very little, a few Labour, Tories and Lib Dem ones' in Cardiff North, some Pliad Cymru and Tories in Cardiff West, and the very few I've seen in Caerffili have all been Labour, where there are usually quite a bit of Plaid ones (and I don't think that's down to the organised vandalism of over 30 Plaid signs in Ceredigion). I have seen a couple of Plaid and Labour ones in Islwyn - Maybe everyones campaigning through blogs these days!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home