Thursday, December 02, 2004

But why the name?

The name of this blog is taken from a translation of the title of a song called Gwenu dan Fysiau by a band called Datblygu.

Hailed as the first truly modern Welsh language group Datblygu were formed by schoolboys David R.Edwards and T.Wyn Davies in 1982. Joined in 1985 by Patricia Morgan this classic line up started a revolution in Welsh music with their singles on the Anhrefn label in the mid eighties which were followed be a stream of John Peel radio sessions and incendiary live appearances.
(from the Ankst website)

I'm indebted to a friend of mine called Bleddyn who introduced me to the band's music while I worked with him in 1999, but unfortunately the band had stopped playing in 1995. This is a perfect example of the dire situation of modern Welsh music, where a Welsh speaker like myself attended a Welsh medium highschool in the mid 90's (this is a subject I'll post about again), but due to the attitude of broadcasters and media in Wales I knew nothing of the thriving Welsh music scene and missed out on loads of wonderfull bands like Datblygu and Ffa Coffi Pawb (Gruff Rhys' band prior to SFA). I'm aware of these bands now of course, and thankfully there has be a ressurgence in interest in them recently, so mush so that there have been 2 'Best of Of' Cd's released for both bands. See Wyau/Pyst/Libertino and Ffa Coffi Pawb Am Byth. They are fucking great, but don't take my word for it, have a listen:

Datblygu MP3's
Ffa Coffi Pawb MP3's

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home